System Registry problem on start up

Will 19:17 08 Jul 04

Windows 98se, 1400, 256 ram
I have just got back after 3 months abroad and the family have been haveing problems with the PC. On opening the "Windows Registry Checker" comes up with "Windows encountered an error accesseing the system Registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you". Haveing hit the okay lots of times the box keeps coming up at every switch on but now we just move the box to the bottom of the screen and are able to carry on with out a problem. I have now gone to install the "Windows XP Upgrade" and unable to because it comes up with the same problem ie that it "cannot install because there is damage to the System Registry@. Can anybody help?
Just had a look at how to manually restore the registry but we are way past the default last 5 openings

VoG II 19:21 08 Jul 04

Try Start, Run, type

scanreg /fix

and click OK.

Will 20:00 08 Jul 04

VoG tried that as well but still the same problem.

Will 20:00 08 Jul 04

VoG tried that as well but still the same problem.

hillybilly 20:14 08 Jul 04

Sounds drastic, but you could try and install windows 98se on top of it's self. what you must remeber is that when you get tothe screen where says there is already an installation it wil want to create a new directory "C:\WINDOWS.000" when that appears you must force it back to "C:\WINDOWS", sounds drastic but I have known it to work in effect it will repair the registy.

Will 21:30 09 Jul 04

Drastic but problem solved thanks Hillbilly. I now have XP installed and have a couple of issues with that but I will deal with that in due course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…