System refusing to shut down

steven_frost 11:28 12 Jan 05

Every time i go to reboot or shut down my system it hangs at the blue screen the hard drive shut down then thats it nothing i'm running windows XP Pro SP2

ACOLYTE 11:36 12 Jan 05

What blue screen?

The saving settings one or the windows is shutting down one.There may be different fixes for both.

steven_frost 12:03 12 Jan 05

Sorry Windows is shutting down

SANTOS7 12:07 12 Jan 05

click here this may help,good luck..........

steven_frost 12:11 12 Jan 05

I've looked at it all drivers are up to date and the software that is on that site i dont use

steven_frost 23:10 12 Jan 05

bump

temp003 05:08 13 Jan 05

It might take a while to find out what is causing it. If any new software or hardware has been installed, that's the first place to look.

The blue screen means that something is causing a fatal error when Windows is trying to shut down.

You should go into the Event Log to see what the errors are. Click Start, Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter. Click System on the left, and double click the error entries (and double check against the time you tried to shut down and it crashed). If the errors are consistent and point to something, that's where you start troubleshooting.

Also, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings, System Failure, untick "Automatically Restart", tick "write an event to the system log", click OK, OK. Next time it crashes, it will stay on the BSOD, and you can write down the error message.

steven_frost 09:40 13 Jan 05

Its not the BSOD i'm getting and no new hardware or software has been installed it tells me it's shutting down then freezers at that point hard drivers power down but then nothing it wont switch it's self off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…