system recovery does not work

sype 10:51 15 Oct 05

when the system recovery disc loads it skips the first option where you pick what type of recovery you want. goes strait to the second option, stops says that it cant detect a partition. and says a recovery is not possible. then it ejects the disc and restarts the computer.can anyone tell me what is going on? im running windows xp home.

Skeletor 13:42 15 Oct 05

From what I understand of Recovery Discs as opposed to the full XP disc is that XP is actually located in a hidden partition on your HDD and the Recovery disc locates it and installs it from there. It maybe that the hidden partition has become corrupt. Not much help I know, but I'm sure someone out there can help.
At least it's bumped your post ;-)

Steve

Klof Ron 13:42 15 Oct 05

It sounds like there should be a "hidden" partition. usually about 2GB in size that contains an image of the OS as it was when you first bought it. When you use the recovery disk, it looks for this partition, and when found copies this image to the root drive, deleting the existing installation during the process. If this partition has been removed for some reason then you cannot recover the PC. It may help if you post the reason as to why you want to use the recovery disk, as someone maybe able to assist you without the need to use the recovery. If not the you probably have to purchase a retail or OEM copy of Windows and re-install from scratch.

Klof Ron 13:43 15 Oct 05

Sorry mate we were typing at the same time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…