System Recovery Changes DVD Drive From "D" to "Q"

OldRed 02:20 02 Jan 05

Hi,

My grandsons 2 year old packard bell laptop has had a problem with a missing setup file and other issues so i decided use the recovery cd to return the system back to factory settings with a view to installing sp2 onto a stable machine.

It took four attemps to complete this each time getting an error message at the welcome screen.

Everything seems fine now but i've noticed that the dvd writer has changed from drive "D" to "Q" is there anything I can do to change it back. I've thought about re-running the recovery program but there's no guarantee it would change it.

Any help would be appreciated

powerless 03:22 02 Jan 05

Click Start, Run, Type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click OK.

Right click on the DVD drive and choose: Change Drive Letters and Paths.

powerless 03:23 02 Jan 05

If you've installed applications from the DVD [Q] Drive, then remember that some apps may need the Q letter for apps to run from the CD.

Gandalph 03:23 02 Jan 05

Click the Start then go into Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools then Computer Management. This will bring up a Panel to manage your drives. Click on disk Management and the drives will cone up in the right hand pane. Right click on the drive you wish to change and re-assign the drive letter from there.

Gandalph 03:26 02 Jan 05

Powerless got there again first as usuall with a shortcut to the same thing.

OldRed 14:04 02 Jan 05

To,

Powerless and Gandalph

Thank you both for a quick solution, I didn't expect it to be so easy and straight forward.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you both.

OldRed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…