System Recovery CD`s

Buchan 35 23:04 09 Apr 05

Is it necessary to have the installation key when
returning to factory settings? I`ve offered a legal pair of ME discs to a forum member, one disc is the System Recovery CD-Rom and the other is the Laplink 2000 disc which does have a CD key. Any help please?

LastChip 23:15 09 Apr 05

but I think it is.

Maybe it depends upon the manufacturer.

lotvic 23:52 09 Apr 05

guess those are for:

'After 100 posts still no conclusion. PCA Tech pls.' created by jamesy74

Buchan 35 17:55 10 Apr 05

Yes, a pair of discs, the second one being Laplink 2000 with a CD key

Buchan 35 19:40 10 Apr 05

Product Key found.

woodchip 19:48 10 Apr 05

They only work with the computer they was with from new

woodchip 19:49 10 Apr 05

The Laplink should be OK but not a Recovery CD

Buchan 35 21:50 10 Apr 05

As you know I don`t know a great deal about these matters, could you please explain? I would have thought that the Recovery Disc would instal WinXP
regardless and everything else on the HDD would be lost. I know that somewhere in the back of my mind
something`s telling me to listen to you, the rest of my mind asks why?

woodchip 23:23 10 Apr 05

A Recovery disc is only created for the computer that it is supplied with. As drivers etc and registration is for that computer

paranomia 23:32 10 Apr 05

I have found to my cost that a lot of recovery discs only allow you to gain access to the system backup on a hidden partition of your hard drive - there are no actual system files on the CD at all! Totally useless when you have a total HD failure, you lose the hidden partition as well!! D'oh!!

lotvic 02:04 11 Apr 05

woodchip is quite right

They are all a bit different. That's why they only work with the motherboard and rest of pc that they were supplied with.
They are designed NOT to work with any other pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…