system reboot after new motherboard install

dcnewton 09:46 07 Oct 04

I have just installed a new motherboard and connected the hard disk as it was on the previous board, and the system keeps rebooting after the windows splash screen?

any thoughts

OwenLotts 09:49 07 Oct 04

You ought to reinstall Windows when you do this as the wrong MoBo drivers are loaded. Probably why it won't start.

dcnewton 10:09 07 Oct 04

that's what i thought, i put the o/s disc in and restarted the computer, the system took the disc started to load components and then before the menu (r=repair ..... etc) it restarted again.
would you suggest formatting the hard disk and starting from scratch?

hillybilly 10:14 07 Oct 04

Even before you reformat the disk just check that the cpu fan is working and you are not shutting down due to over heating. Next hit the delete key or F2 and check all is okay within the Bios, then is the time to reformat your drive.

dcnewton 10:20 07 Oct 04

that is a very good point, the cpu fan is working, however the bios has a setting where it manages the fan speed and has the capability of shutting down - will check that tonight and let you know.

goonerbill © ® 11:18 07 Oct 04

what is the make and model of your mobo. this info will help us help you, may solve the problem a bit quicker

dcnewton 12:56 08 Oct 04

Good Point - it is a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

goonerbill © ® 09:26 10 Oct 04

have you sorted your problem out. i have the same mobo and may know what your problem is. did your old mobo have nforce 2 chipset or different make of chipset via, sis, etc:.

if chipset was different to you new mobo and you haven't done a clean install, this will more than likely be the problem. if you have done a clean install and you are getting the problem list you components and what memory you have and in what slots and what happens when you start the computer.

georgemac 10:07 10 Oct 04

another thing to check if all the above fails is the rating of your power supply. New boards/cpu/graphics need a good power supply unit.

dcnewton 13:52 12 Oct 04

SORTED!!!!
One of the two memory modules has blown, when i removed it the system worked fine. have now replaced module.

Thanks for all your help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…