System problem on return from standby

Jim Thing 14:48 13 Dec 05

My stand-alone system (Athlon 64 3400+, 512MB RAM, 120GB HD) runs Windows XP Home + SP2 on a 512MB BB connection via a Creative 'Blaster' DSL router.

When I fire up the system after it's been on standby for some time, I find that my web browser (IE6) and ftp software (FTP Commander) can no longer contact my ISP's servers, and I have to reboot in order to return things to normal. This seems to be more of a nuisance than a serious problem, since all my security software (AVG antivirus, ZoneAlarm firewall, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta, AdAware and Spybot S&D) is up to date and tells me that the system is clean. The change in behaviour began some weeks ago and I can't associate its onset with any specific action on my part. In any case I prefer not to use System Restore because (a) I'm unsure how far back to go and (b) I've installed and updated several new applications recently, including replacements for my previous AV and firewall.

The 'System' log in Event Viewer contains a scattering of Error and Warning entries (not always in the same combinations) logged at times that seem to be associated with attempts to bring the system back out of standby. However, these entries, and the Knowledge Base articles linked to them, may as well be in Sanskrit as far as I'm concerned, and I've come to a dead end. I'm posting them here in the hope that someone will kindly tell me what's happening and how to fix it.

ERROR events:

Event ID 32003 Source: ipnathlp
"The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code."

Event ID 1002, Source: dhcp
"The IP address lease for the Network Card with network address 00115B6C4EF6 has been denied by the DHCP server (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)."

Event ID 2505, Source: Server
"The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8BE0D7FA-23B6-45C0-995F-2F4B36A77C48} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start."

WARNING events:

Event ID 1007, Source dhcp:
"Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00115B6C4EF6. The IP address being used is"

Event ID 1003, Source: dhcp
"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00115B6C4EF6. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

Apologies for such a long-winded post. Thanks in advance, and a Merry Christmas to all.

recap 15:31 13 Dec 05

Event 1007: dhcp

"Message generated when a computer is configured to obtain its IP address automatically (from a DHCP server) but no DCHP server answered the request. A random IP address (within the range) is assigned to the computer. Check the availability of a DHCP server for that segment"

This may be as simple as re-booting your Creative 'Blaster' DSL router.

Jim Thing 15:42 13 Dec 05

Thanks for responding. Since posting, I've found (in the 'Advanced' Firewall settings of Zone Alarm) a tickbox to "...allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in Internet zone on High setting." It is unticked. Could this be the problem?

My Internet zone setting is High. Am I safe to tick that box?

Jim Thing 19:32 13 Dec 05

Jim Thing 20:27 13 Dec 05

Jim Thing 19:10 16 Dec 05

Despite two 'bumps' my question fell on deaf ears, so I did a bit of Googling and found a suggestion that the problem could be solved by reducing the security setting of ZoneAlarm's Internet Zone from HIGH to MEDIUM. I tried this and it worked — but I worried that it was also leaving my computer open to malicious exploratory pings [correct?] so I set it back to HIGH.

Finally I took a deep breath and ticked the box to tell ZoneAlarm to "...allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in Internet zone on High setting."

It's early days yet but this seems to have done the trick.

I'll tick the box (but may regret it).

woodchip 19:31 16 Dec 05

I have that sometimes on my Laptop when it's been in hibernation, But My laptop has a 3Com card that as it's own software, So I just exit the Software program in System tray and the restart it from Startup in Programs and it reconnects without reboot

Jim Thing 19:52 16 Dec 05

Noted. Thanks, Woodchip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…