System Performance Improvement

britianicus 12:20 19 Apr 03

I had an old 128mb P100 SDRAM chip kicking around so I installed it into a friend of mines old P2 350mhz machine increasing his memory from 64mb P100 to 192mb of P100 SDRAM. How much will this increase the perfomance of his machine - will it somehow increase the overall capability of the CPU or will it just make his PC overall more wizzy within it's current state?

britianicus 12:29 19 Apr 03

Sorry, I also have another 128mb of RAM that I could sling in for him. Would this be overkill/a waste of space or usefull. He's runninf Win98 and I'm aware of probs after 512mb of RAM in Win 98 so it shouldn't cause any problems but would he get any real benefit?

powerless 12:54 19 Apr 03

Depends what you want to do with the computer...

If you use alot of applications at once then yes you will notice an improvement.

If you can go to > Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

MSCONFIG

Click "OK" then go to "Startup" and take the ticks out of everything apart "scanreg" and "systray". This will improve things.

CPU will still run at 350 but there will not be as much demand of it because of the extra RAM.

britianicus 12:58 19 Apr 03

I'll try that Powerless thanks ver much and have a good Easter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…