System Passwords

Helenasks 11:15 11 Sep 05

I want to set up a system password on daughter's computer ie a password that you need to enter before windows is accessed. I cannot find the area on the new laptop - Packard Bell - Easynote. Can anyone help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:21 11 Sep 05

Control panel - Users - change the way users log on

mattyc_92 11:25 11 Sep 05

What OS is your daughter using? If it is Win98 or below, then the password protection can be "hacked" (well, you just click "Cancel")

Arnie 11:26 11 Sep 05

In XP

Click on Run> Control Panel> User Accounts> User Administrator> Create Password.

Helenasks 11:27 11 Sep 05

Sorry wasn't clear enough. I want a password request as soon as computer is started up ie on black screen before windows password for user is requested

Arnie 11:28 11 Sep 05

In XP

Click on Start> Control Panel> User Accounts> User Administrator> Create Password.

Helenasks 11:28 11 Sep 05

OS is XP home

mattyc_92 11:31 11 Sep 05

You mean password protect the "BIOS"?

Helenasks 11:34 11 Sep 05

Now then Matty you've just stretched my knowledge too far....... On my laptop when I switch it on the first thing it asks for is a password (on black screen I expect in DOS) once I enter p/word there the I log on to wondows with another p/word. I was told many years ago this is the best (only) way to protect our computer if it is stolen. Does that help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:35 11 Sep 05

To lock the PC completely before windows starts you need to put a password in the BIOS (DO NOT LOOSE IT) this stops the PC just after the POST screen.

IF YOU LOOSE THIS PASSWORD YOU SET THE PC IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET BACK INTO.

mattyc_92 11:37 11 Sep 05

I always thought that resetting the BIOS will clear it's password (never tried it though, as I don't password protect the BIOS)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…