System Monitor shows 100% Processor usage

scotty 17:28 18 Sep 05

I have a Windows ME computer which shows Kernel processor usage constantly at 100%. I was obviously worried that there might be something nasty on the computer but AVG, Ad-Aware and Spybot show nothing. Also tried an on-line check (Trend) but everything is reported as clean.

There is no obvious performance degradation and I have not noticed random internet access. There is nothing abnormal showing up when I Ctrl Alt Del.

Can anyone suggest any tools I can download to do further checks? Is what System Monitor reports reliable?

alan227 17:33 18 Sep 05

Go to this link and post a HJT.
click here

Stuartli 19:21 18 Sep 05

Go to this link:

click here

Scroll down to System IDLE Process and read the information provided - you'll find there's nothing to worry about.

scotty 20:15 18 Sep 05

Stuartli,

Link refers to XP - do you know if it is also true for ME?

ME does not give the same detail of information about running processes. System idle is not listed when Ctrl Alt Del is pressed. Even if it running on ME, it seems unlikely that System Monitor (the graphical representation of various system parameters) would include system idle process as it makes the graph meaningless.

I have run HJT as Alan suggested and nothing looks untoward.

Are there any alternatives to System Monitor for checking the system performance? Does SiSoft Sandra includes such a tool?

Stuartli 21:23 18 Sep 05

Never had anything to do with ME as I went from 98SE to XP Pro, although a friend's system which I used occasionally had W2K and I wasn't all that impressed at the time.

No doubt someone will be able to advise you.

woodchip 21:26 18 Sep 05

You are getting mixed up with IDLE time

woodchip 21:28 18 Sep 05

If it was 100% You would not get anything done as Computer would be that slow

scotty 23:09 18 Sep 05

Hi woodchip, the 100% refers to kernel processor usage. This is reported from the utility provided in system tools in WindowsME. My suspicion in that this system monitor program is misreporting as there is no obvious slowing down. I have done all I can think of to convince myself that there is nothing infecting the computer. What would help finally convince me would be another utility which correctly reported processor usage.

woodchip 10:39 19 Sep 05

Have you tried a Reload of ME over the top of the old

scotty 15:57 19 Sep 05

No. Am nervous about prospect of such drastic action. I guess the option you are suggesting does not require programs to be reinstalled? Will consider your suggestion if nothing else less risky is suggested. (It may not actually be risky but I fear the unknown!)

As said before, computer appears to be functioning well so perhaps the information is just being misreported.

woodchip 16:03 19 Sep 05

That's right all your programs, files, stay as they are

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…