System memory low PC takes a long time to respond

Gromett 13:54 07 Feb 04

My older Celeron 400 PC has recently started to operate with short periods of freezing and then continuing. I have received a message telling me the system memory may be low. How do I check wether this is the cause? Could there be other causes? Thanks

johnnyrocker 13:59 07 Feb 04

you could try installing a program such as cacheman (find it on click here) and search. it tells you how much memory is not in use and can recover memory as well. also you could try increasing the size of your virtual memory (also caled paging file) in control panel>system>advance>performance options. this may sort it out.
otherwise you might have to buy some more memory or uninstall programs you dont need anymore or try to stop applications booting up at startup?
ask if you don;t knopw how!! :)

Robhart 14:13 07 Feb 04

I'm going to build my first computer so I'm no expert! My motherboard will be a Gigabyte-7N400 Pro II-nVidia nForce2-Socket A ATX Motherboard.
I've been told that I need to get Dual channel DDR not ordinary DDR if I want to get the best out of this particular board. Does anyone know what this is and where I can buy some? Crucial were no help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…