System Memory

NSBT 14:31 11 Nov 07

Hi

Is there a way I can find out whether my system requires new memory?

I'm running XP desktop

TIA

Ben 216 14:41 11 Nov 07

What PC spec do you have? What programs do you run and do you tend to get long pauses while your PC thinks about things?

Something like Aida32 click here or Belarc click here will list your specs if you don't know them.

There's not an easy way to tell if you need more RAM by simply running a program (that I know of) but if you post what your specs are and what you need to do the PCA forum will be able to help you out.

NSBT 14:59 11 Nov 07

Hi Ben

I'm not sure what you mean about specs, I have an Acer desktp SA80 machine, I went onto the Crucial website, and used their tool which checked my computer for the type of memory I require, and this is the result:

Maximum Memory Capacity:  2048MB
Currently Installed Memory:  512MB
Available Memory Slots:  1
Number of Banks:  2
Dual Channel Support:   No
CPU Manufacturer:  GenuineIntel
CPU Family:   Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz Model 4, Stepping 9
CPU Speed:  2800 MHz

Currently installed memory:
512MB
DDR PC3200
EMPTY 
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200,DDR PC4000 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

Does this make sense, although, I really have no idea what the above information means?

Totally-braindead 15:11 11 Nov 07

Basically it means you have 2 memory slots, only one is being used just now and that has 1 512mb slab of memory in it.
You board can take up to 2 gig of memory, 1 gig in each slot if you wish. If you did this then you would have to remove the 512mb you have already.

Do you need more memory? It depends. If you added another 512mb then yes things would speed up a bit you would particularly notice it if opening more than one program at the same time. Or you could add a 1 gig slab of memory if you wish.
If things are slow to open for example then adding memory will speed things up considerably but you don't need to do it.
If you have onboard graphics IE no dedicated graphics card but only graphics built into the motherboard then the difference would be even more noticeable.
Its really up to you. Another 512mb RAM would speed things up a bit adding even more on top of that will make less of a difference. Sorry I'm not explaining it too well.

Do you need it? Not if the PC does all you ask and doesn't slow down. Would it get faster with more memory? Yes a bit faster especially when working hard.

If you are keeping your present PC for a while I would add another 512mb from Crucial. If not and if the PC runs fine I would leave it as it is.

NSBT 16:15 11 Nov 07

HI TB

Well, surprisingly for me, I'm following what you are saying, almost, apart from this part:

“If you have onboard graphics IE no dedicated graphics card but only graphics built into the motherboard then the difference would be even more noticeable” sorry, but I'm not sure about that.

What happens is, my homepage “Yahoo” is slow to open, some other web pages are also slow to open, I did have a pop up message only once about 2 weeks ago saying something like “System memory low” I cannot remember the whole message.

Does this make sense?

Ben 216 16:20 11 Nov 07

LOL - that was almost as long winded as one of my posts!

TB pretty much took the words out of my mouth... or fingers.

Another 512MB won't hurt infact you'll probably notice a difference, and unless you want to game on your PC a lot then there's no point putting any more in.

Crucial memory is prtty good and what I always go for, the memory advisor will show you PC3200 and PC4000 (PC4000 being slightly faster). The momroy you have already is PC3200 and so that will be the speed your memory runs at, so if you put in PC4000 it'll run at PC3200 speed. This is fine, but don't pay more to get the PC4000 thinking itll be faster - just buy whichever version is cheaper.

Ben 216 16:24 11 Nov 07

Pretty much says it all, if you're getting this often then put some more RAM in.

Internet speeds can be a dodgy way of measuring performance because you can't tell if it's the internet connection or PC limiting.

As for the graphics, some PCs have graphics built onto the motherboard, while others have a dedicated card. The graphics built onto the board use system memory (that's you RAM) to run, and a dedicated card will have its own memory. I'll check out the spec.

NSBT 16:39 11 Nov 07

Hi Ben

Thanks very much for your assistance, this click here is the result from Crucial so may I ask which one I should select, oh, and as paranoid as I am about security, is there any of my personal information from my computer in the address bar above?

Thanks so far for your help

NSBT 16:40 11 Nov 07

Oh, btw, I forgot to mention, I don't play any PC games.

Ben 216 16:49 11 Nov 07

Looks like you have onboard graphics which will be sucking up some of your RAM.

From the link above all you can tell is that you have an Acer Aspire SA80, nothing more.

It's also the US site... if you're in the UK click here

And if you scroll down you should see there's some options at the side, you need to check only the 512Mb box and check SINGLE instead of KIT. That should leave you with 3 options. The one you want is click here
512MB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200 memory module CT527096 because the other two are faster and you will see no difference between them if you pay the extra for them.

Ben 216 16:52 11 Nov 07

for £19 I would definately add the extra RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…