System Mechanic - worth buying?

Housten 16:46 PM 29 Jun 11

Good afternoon,

I have been using 'System Mechanic' a little while, and it says it is cleaning up a lot of stuff. Is it or isn't it - I don't know!! But I am a little sceptical, however the "free" period is about to run out and I would like to know wether or not this is worth buying OR will one or other of the free programmes that are about do just as well. Any and all advice/help/information gratefully accepted.

onthelimit1 16:53 PM 29 Jun 11

I would never use anything other than the free, and well respected CCleaner. It's genuine, safe and can really speed up a clogged PC.

Housten 17:07 PM 29 Jun 11

Many thanks for your comment. I have been using ccleaner - and malwarebytes - for some time, so I will continue with them.

Taff™ 17:10 PM 29 Jun 11

Ditto. CCleaner is good enough for most people and there is always a danger that some of the registry cleaners can be too aggressive which CCleaner is not. I know several people who have tried 2 or more registry cleaners to sort out a so called "slow computer" and completely wrecked it. A slow computer usually has an underlying problem which needs to be treated separately.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 PM 29 Jun 11

Had SMv8 I think nothing I couldn't do using CCleaner and a couple of other tweaks for free.

Only advantage is all in one package

Disadvantage is it costs for that convenience.

ams4127 20:39 PM 29 Jun 11

I've used it for ages and swear by it. It seems to clean deeper than Ccleaner and I haven't encountered any problems. It seems to keep my system running more quickly than without using it, though there is no way that I could ever prove it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X