Phrixos 08:51 29 Mar 07

Hello,

(Win XPsp2)

The only items in my msconfig/startup are:

ccapp (Symantec)
Ghosttray (Norton)
zlclient (ZoneAlarm, and
ctfmon (Windows system)

When I start up, the first thing my system does--BEFORE--it loads the antivirus and the firewall, is log on to the web. Surely this leaves my system vulnerable to, well, everything, for about twenty seconds. (Or am I wrong about that?)

What's going on here, and how do I change it?

ATB,
Phrixos

Technotiger 08:58 29 Mar 07

Hi, I think in fact that although you cannot see it, your anti-virus does start running a nano-second before you are on-line - on mine it does anyway, (AVG Free - the AVG window appears even before the two little on-line screens) the first thing my system does is check for anti-virus updates. I don't think you need to change anything. I also have XPsp2.

Technotiger 09:01 29 Mar 07

PS - How long have you been running your PC as it is? and then answer this - how many times has your PC actually been attacked by nasties? If the answer to the last question is more than zero (0) then yes, you may have a problem requiring changes.

BurrWalnut 09:06 29 Mar 07

The icons you see in the system tray are just the 'user' aspect of the programs. Anti-virus and the like are started a (relatively) long time before those icons appear.

Phrixos 15:22 29 Mar 07

Thanks for all your inputs. I'm (somewhat) relieved.

This has only started happening, by the way, since I have just recently reconfigured my system from scratch.

It's odd, since I've done that often before, and not done anything differently this time, and this is the first time I have this "problem". No, BTW, I haven't been attacked, but then 20 seconds, or so, is not a very long time. In any event, I'd taken to unplugging the line until after I see the antivirus icon--but, as you imply, that's probably not necessary.

Still, I'd like to change it if I could. Just don't like the idea of not seeing that friendly little yellow disk.

ATB,
Phrixos

provider 2 15:31 29 Mar 07

I`ve been in touch with avast! about this issue of delayed starting after installing a wireless router. Their answer was to uninstall and re-install be that has made no difference.
I`m advised their technical people are looking into it but I don`t know whether to be encouraged by that or not.

BurrWalnut 19:18 29 Mar 07

If you look in Services, you will see your antivirus program listed. Services are in the highest group to start up in the list below, well they're actually second. Your modem or router is probably group 7 or 11. Here's the start up list :

1.BootExecute HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
2.Services are started
3.User (some) enters a password to logon to the system
4.UserInit HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit
5.Shell HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
Programs in ALL USERS keys start next :-
6.RunOnce HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
7.Run HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
8.RunOnceEx HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
9.RunEx HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx
Programs in CURRENT USER keys start next :-
10.RunOnce HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
11.Run HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
12.RunOnceEx HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
13.RunEx HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx
14.Programs in STARTUP FOLDER(S) are started last of all

Phrixos 12:12 14 May 07

Im logging this problem as resolved.
Thanks to all.
Phrixos

Stuartli 12:16 14 May 07

I use Avast! and have a wired, permanently connected modem router.

Never suffered any unwanted setbacks as a result of being permanently connected - I presume it's because I have to open Outlook Express and Firefox before actually going on line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…