System left on, or off.

joseph K 09:50 26 Oct 04

As a matter of interest I am wondering if the rest of you guys leave your systems switched permanently on, or if you turn them off.

My own inclination would be to turn it off. I recently chatted to a couple of friends about this (one makes computers both for himself and for others, the other works in telecomms) and they both say that it is better to leave the system (or any other electrical devise) permanently on. The argument being that this way it doen't experience the sudden 'electrical shock' that it does when switched off/on. The example of a light bulb has been given to me as a good example. These almost always fail when they are turned back on.

I have also read an article at click here which suggests that switching a system on/off, is the equivalent of ten hours usage while left on!

This subject has recently come to the forefront of my mind because I have recently bought an external HDD. It isn't the worth of the drive that concerns me, but as usual the worth of the data on it. I have copies on CDs, but we all know what has been suggested about them lately.

This is mostly why I would like to take a 'straw poll'. Generally I find that thoughts about this are divided, notwithstanding the opinions sited above.

Obviously, when in areas of the world prone to storms switching off/on would be the answer, but I live in what is at present a fairly clement area.

Valvegrid 09:57 26 Oct 04

Mines off when not in use because of the fire risk. A hard drive or PSU can be replaced easily and its cheap, a burnt down house less so.

Sethhaniel 10:04 26 Oct 04

youre connected to internet - all those hours unattended - gives the hackers free rain without you noticing anything ;)

chub_tor 10:14 26 Oct 04

Personally I leave my LCD monitor on standby but switch off the PC when I am leaving it unattended for a lengthy period. I agree with valvegrid, the fire risk is in the back of my mind.

joseph K 10:46 26 Oct 04

That's what I used to think myself. All apliances were turned off at the end of the day, or if the house was empty. Though within the past few months I have been amazed by the number of people who leave their computer equipment, TV etc. switched on (standby where this can be done) 24/7. This led to me thinking about things such as the fridge, water heater etc. etc. which seemed to make switching 'off' less important.

Of course I understand that each appliance left 'on' increases the risk, but as I use a belkin surge board the chance of fire being started by a lightening strike etc. seemed to be nullified.

The thought of the fan getting stuck, or something of that nature does still bother me though, but then virtually everything has a similar working part.

I guess it's just a matter of risk assessment i.e. Is the chance of a fire sufficiently likely to make it worth while losing important data?

Methinks we need a statistian!

€dstowe 11:00 26 Oct 04

My insurance company insists that all my computers are turned off when no-one is on the premises. I happy to concur with that. After all, it is they that pay the money out if things go wrong.

€d

Smegs 11:10 26 Oct 04

When was the last time you OPENED your computer up to clean the insides out? Think of all that dust/pet hairs/carpet fibre and god know's what else, thats being sucked in by the fan. I hoover mine out once a month.

There was a posting on here a few months ago, can't remember who posted it. They had left their Pc on, gone out of the room, when they had come back(and just in time), the Pc was smoking.

It's up to you. Are you insured???

joseph K 11:15 26 Oct 04

I'm beginning to err back to my original inclinations! However, I am still left wondering about the strictly technical part of my question.

Sethhaniel 11:20 26 Oct 04

"the Pc was smoking"
Don't computers read the health warning on the front of the packet ;)

my monitors always on standby - as is tv - hifi -ups - surege protector - alarm clock - the bedrooms like 'blackpool illuminations' at night - but I switch PC off - but how 'off' is off as there have been 'num lock' lights still visible on USB keyboard ??? - only if I'm going on holiday does the mains plug come out - but put plug back in and everything springs to life as though they were all on standby all the time !!
;)

Smegs 11:30 26 Oct 04

It was also over 16 years of age!!! ;-)).

Smegs 11:33 26 Oct 04

I can't answer your question, but again, would you rather turn your Pc off, and risk blowning something that may cost £50-£100. Or leaving it on loseing house/lives???

TURN IT OFF.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…