System Information problem in XP

Bodi 16:13 30 Sep 03

Going into "System Information" and clicking on anything (left hand side of window) brings up the following error:

"The component which displays this information is not functioning properly, or not present on this machine." In other words, I can't check the system at all.

Anyone have any ideas? Please.

Bodi

Bodi 16:15 30 Sep 03

Put this on the end of another thread - but as it is a new subject - started new thread - sorry.

Bodi

hugh-265156 16:17 30 Sep 03

click here maybe

hugh-265156 16:20 30 Sep 03

sorry Bodi,i cant read.that was for win.98 cant find anything for xp.

Bodi 16:27 30 Sep 03

Thanks! I know it was for Win 98 (my XP Home Edition is an upgrade) so it might just work - or I may find relevent files on the XP disk.

Going to have a try, anyway. Have printed out instructions.

Thanks again,

Bodi

alan 2273 16:35 30 Sep 03

This may not get your SI running again but this is another way to access it.
Go on line, from the start menu click on Help & Support, Click on use TOOLS to view your computer, click Advanced System information, click view detailed system information and this will bring uo the box you are after.

Chegs ® 18:27 30 Sep 03

Or without going online Start/Run type Msinfo32.exe and hit return.If this doesn't work....erm.....dunno,but at least its a shortcut. :-)

hugh-265156 19:56 30 Sep 03

or type dxdiag into run an select more help/msinfo

Bodi 20:38 30 Sep 03

Still getting the error message:

"Cannot Display Information

The Component which displays this information is not functioning properly, or is not present on this machine".

Also the System File Checker isn't working - so can't do it that way either.

Help! Please

Bodi

Chegs ® 21:07 30 Sep 03

OK,its time for XP install disc,press "R" at 1st screen gives access to recovery console(although I have only ever been able to replace files its missing using it)2nd screen offers press "R" to Repair XP.This also restores XP to basic install so you then need to reinstall drivers,etc.

Bodi 22:20 30 Sep 03

Will give it a try and let you know what happens. I won't have to activate the wretched thing again will I?

Thank you

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…