system information (msinfo32.exe)

garby 11:03 27 Jan 09

Tried to display system information but all i can get is the microsoft help and support center. Even tried using the run command with no luck.

Any suggestions on how to reverse it and get it back to system information.

windows xp pro
service pack 3

MAJ 11:11 27 Jan 09

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information.

birdface 11:14 27 Jan 09

Or download this.click here
It will give you much more information.

garby 11:17 27 Jan 09

Tried it first, thats what made me run msinfo32.exe in the run command, still brings up the help and support center. Had a simlar problem a few years ago and cant remember how to change it. So cheers anyway.

MAJ 11:28 27 Jan 09

It happens if the index.dat file in the

C:\\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\OfflineCache

folder becomes corrupt or is missing, try restoring it using SFC /SCANNOW, or see if it has been moved to the recycle bin, or if you have run any cleaner programs lately, check it's backup files option to see if it's in there. If that all fails, email me, using the yellow envelope, and I'll send you a copy of mine.

birdface 11:32 27 Jan 09

Try Control Panel.Administrative tools.Service, Scroll down to Windows management[instrumentation] and make sure it is set to automatic and see if that helps.Now that would be how you do it in XP Home not sure about Pro.

garby 19:11 27 Jan 09

Thanks MAJ

i owe you one.

Regards

Garby.

MAJ 19:32 27 Jan 09

Happy to help, Garby, glad it worked okay.

I emailed Garby the index.dat file from the folder above and he replaced his corrupt index.dat file with my copy. It worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac