System icons greyed out

FatboySlim71 08:07 20 Jun 08

I have Vista Ultimate.

Occasionally when I boot up, I do not have the Volume and Network system icons shown in the Notification area of the taskbar.

When the above happens and I right click the taskbar/properties/notification area tab, the Network and Volume boxes are greyed out so I am unable to tick them to show the mentioned icons.

I was wondering is there a way of getting them shown by using some other method, basically so I could for want of a better word overide the greyed out boxes and basically get them shown again.

Any help would be much appreciated. : )

BurrWalnut 14:56 20 Jun 08

It’s a known problem. Try these:

1. Sometimes logging off and back on or restarting the computer clears the problem.

2. Click the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify. In the right-pane there are two entries: IconStreams and PastIconsStream, right-click and delete them, then restart the computer.

Create a system restore point before deleting the registry keys in case anything goes wrong.

FatboySlim71 19:52 20 Jun 08

BurrWalnut

Thanks for the help.

Restarting usually works, but the problem is very random.

I was basically wondering if there is a file for example on the computer that I could run for as and when the icons were not shown, and basically get the icons to reappear.

FatboySlim71 08:32 21 Jun 08

bump

FatboySlim71 22:21 21 Jun 08

bump

rdave13 22:40 21 Jun 08

Try Control Panel--Classic view-- Scroll down to 'taskbar and start menu'-- notification area tab-- tick all the boxes (un-tick and re-tick if you have to) so you can click on apply then ok.

FatboySlim71 23:11 21 Jun 08

Thanks rdave13, I'll give your suggestion a try the next time I have the problem. Thanks again its much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now