System has reached maximum size allowed

geoff47 14:15 PM 07 Apr 12

I am getting a warning that "The system has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the registry" when I boot up. Everything is slow for a while then it appears to speed up. I did a repair installation using my XP Professional CD, but the first thing that showed on boot was that same warning.

Any ideas ? I have searched but the information is confusing, even Microsoft doesn't appear to know the solution.

KRONOS the First 14:23 PM 07 Apr 12

The top one perhaps.Click here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:15 PM 07 Apr 12

There is no maximum registry size setting for XP VISTA or W7.

If you are running Windows XP, and get a error message about the registry exceeding its allowed size, you will need to look at other programs / drivers:

The primary culprit is usually Nvidia drivers.

If you have a Nvidia graphics card, or a motherboard with a Nvidia chip-set, you have Nvidia drivers installed.

You should go to the Nvidia website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card or motherboard. Then, use “Add/Remove Programs” to uninstall your current drivers. After uninstalling, reboot your computer and proceed to install your newly downloaded drivers.

geoff47 19:07 PM 07 Apr 12

Since the repair installation I have been I have been updating, getting service packs etc. etc. There is yet another update going on as I write this. I don't think I have any Nvidia on my PC, I have looked via Everest, and Belarc.

Nothing seems to have improved with the repair installation and the updates.

rdave13 19:17 PM 07 Apr 12

Run Chkdsk, link. Run chkdsk volume:/r Might be a symptom of a hard drive going bad even though nothing to do with the registry.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 PM 07 Apr 12

USe Ccleaner to clean the registry (very safe)

geoff47 21:25 PM 07 Apr 12

I am away from that PC right now, but I have a nasty feeling it might be the Hard Drive. I was advised a little while ago about another problem it could be the HD on it's way out.

@ Fruit Bat I actually run Ccleaner regularly, thats why I think it could be the HD........oh bugger.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…