System hangs then comes back withdifferent setting

marston 18:36 25 Apr 03

The other day my system hung while trying to unzip/print a Word email attachment.There was no display except kaleidoscopic strips.Normal(to me)things would not reset it except in Safe mode.
After a night's R&R with the power off, it did restart in full mode but all the settings were different.e.g.(1)the resolution was [email protected] color cf [email protected] color(2)the IE6 homepage was now MSN cf my ISP homepage(3)the System Monitor window was blank.
Can someone help me with what is going on.I am anxious about going further until I understand it better.
PS.I ran Antivirus(two) and sfc.exe and found nothing.PPS My OS is W98SE on PIII 1GHZ/256 MB memory and Matrox G450 32MB G/B.
Many thanks my first query!

LastChip 19:01 25 Apr 03

Start your machine with a boot disk to a DOS prompt. At the prompt, type the command;

scanreg /restore

(note the space between the g and /)

Scanreg will scan the registry and give you five previous dates that known good registries were saved by the system. These appear in the US date format mm/dd/yyyy. Choose a date when you know the system was running OK and select restore. The program will re-set your system back to that point in time, and you will loose any programs that have been loaded since (which could be the cause of the problem), but you will not loose any saved files, so your personal files should remain as secure as a computer ever is.

However, as we all know (and do!!!), backup important files just in case!.

marston 10:06 26 Apr 03

Many thanks for your prompt response,LastChip.
I have followed your advice and run scanreg /restore from the DOS prompt, and it did indeed solve the problem in that it then startes with the old settings.I am most grateful to you.
I suppose we shall never know what caused the original hang and why it reverted to some non-standard settings.Some kind of default values do you think?
Anyway I am indebted to you, and the technique is no doubt applicable more generally whatever causes the failure to load?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…