System Hanging and Skype

steve263000 06:15 11 Jan 05

I recently downloaded Skype, the internet telephone service. Since then I have had problems using outlook and Outlook Express. The computer also "hangs" when turned off, and takes a long time to complete the action. It is a brand new system. I am going to do a restore, but has anyone else had Skype problems?

Jeffers22 07:55 11 Jan 05

I had no such problems with Skype, although it did seem to take a bit longer to shutdown sometimes. The problem may be that a connection/call between two Skype members is actually using your PC at the time you want to shutdown and Skype delays until it can reroute that call.

Perhaps try right clicking on the Skype icon in the system tray and selct Quit Skype before shutting down and see if that mproves the situation.

steve263000 08:54 11 Jan 05

Thank you for the answer, but I have actually never used it yet. I was waiting for some friends to download it, and then connect up. I can think of nothing else that I have done that might cause the problems.

Jeffers22 09:11 11 Jan 05

When you say you have not used it, I assume you have installed it and just not yet used it to make phone calls.

If it is installed the default is for it to run at startup and then you are offering your machine as a link in the peer to peer chain that carries all voice calls for Skype users.

If you haven't installed it, then it can have nothing to do with your shutdown problems any more than any other downloaded file that just sits on your hard drive.

steve263000 12:13 11 Jan 05

I have installed it, so I think that as I said before, I will unintall it, roll back a couple of days, then see how I am. If it has caused problems, I will post again.

steve263000 02:56 12 Jan 05

I took Skype out yesterday before rolling back, and did a spyware check and virus check, and all is working fine now. So, no more Skype for me. It may work for the majority, but once biten, twice shy,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…