System hanging and rebooting

Flaco 23:12 01 Mar 04

I have a fairly serious problem which I have not been able to resolve by myself. I am running Win XP Home, XP1800+, 512Mb memory, Asus A7V266-E.

Last week I tried to install a TV tuner card in my system. Initially everything seemed fine (except that the card would not actually work). Shortly afterwards, my system froze and I activated the reset button. The reboot did not carry through completely and I had to reset the system again. Chkdsk was run on the next reboot.

I have since uninstalled and removed the card, but the problem is still there: after approx 20-30 mins, the system hangs again. The hard disk then shows a long period of activity and the system reboots itself. Sometimes the process completes all the way on it's own, but other times it hangs during the initialization period. This requires another reset from a failed reboot, which results in either another Chkdsk run or a screen which offers the option of continuing in Safe Mode or Normal Startup, etc.

It happens randomly, i.e. I am not running anything specific to cause the problem at the time. On a couple of occasions I have let the system reboot itself and not touched it; sure enough it hangs after a while and starts the process again. The system will hang again soon so I am taking this opportunity to send this msg while I can.

I have checked for viruses (none present) and have run a disk check myself to verify if there are any HDD problems (negative). I would like to run a physical memory check but do not think the system would complete the process before hanging again. I did run a Registry fix app and it found over 1,400 errors. I opted to correct the errors but it has had no effect on the problem. I am not receiving any other alarms, all devices and peripherals work fine while the system is active and I have no reason to believe that the PSU is faulty. Also, Device Manager does not reveal any flags and CPU amd motherboard temps are well within limits. I'm stumped and so can only surmize that the problem is s/w related.

My only option may be to reinstall Windows, but I only have a Recovery disk that was supplied with the system and not the full set. Also, I am reluctant to take this course unless necessary because I've never done it before and my back-ups are limited since I have no DVD writer and fear I will lose a lot of data.

My boiler has started playing up, my motorbike has developed an electrical gremlin and no doubt my leg will fall off later this week.

Any help greatly appreciated before I decide to fall on my own sword.

Indigo 1 23:24 01 Mar 04

Have you checked for Adware and Spyware ?

ME is very resource hungry and will compete with anything running in the background for resources, make sure you only have the necessary apps running for each task.

Indigo 1 23:24 01 Mar 04

Have you checked for Adware and Spyware ?

ME is very resource hungry and will compete with anything running in the background for resources, make sure you only have the necessary apps running for each task.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…