System halted locked out!

sanskrit 16:09 28 Jul 03

I tried to install Norton system works 2003 onto millenium OS and after reboot I got the following message: "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. System halted". with a blue screen. I've tried to reboot and it just keeps coming up the same. I can access the system in safe mode but only with arrow keys. Any suggestions as how to get back to normal?

DieSse 16:37 28 Jul 03

Uninstall Norton?

sanskrit 17:32 28 Jul 03

I did manage to uninstall Norton bit by bit, but the problem still remains, unless there's a hidden file somewhere that I've missed.

spikeychris 17:38 28 Jul 03

Can you use system restore?

sanskrit 19:09 28 Jul 03

I've attempted system restore three times and it says the system was restored to an ealier time, but there was no change at bootup.

Philip2 19:36 28 Jul 03

Use your recovery disk looks like your boot files are corrupted all your data will be lost i hope your backed up.

sanskrit 19:56 28 Jul 03

I don't have recovery discs as such only a boot system disc. I've attempted several times but to no avail. I'm not concerned with lost data as it was just a back up machine with very little in it.

Philip2 20:41 28 Jul 03

I would do a full format you will have to get into DOS command if you were running Windows ME you should have a start up floppy to do this.

Philip2 21:02 28 Jul 03

If you haven't got a Windows ME floppy use the Norton Systemworks Disk but you will have to change first boot to CD in the bios if it then shows A:\ on boot up Type in format c: if that is the drive.
Every think will be lost you will have to install all your drivers ect.

sanskrit 21:05 28 Jul 03

I only have windows 98se oem CD and a millenium upgrade CD. Can a format be done with those discs? My CD drive is a bit tempremental and tends to pick up when it's in the mood!

Philip2 23:20 28 Jul 03

Put it in the drive Give it a go with the OEM did this come with your computer?an upgrade disk is of no use if you format you will always require a full version,Tip that is why you should always make a start up floppy.
Do you know anyone that has a 98 or ME floppy to lend you if the OEM doesn't work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…