System Freezes?

Dai A Bolical 12:36 23 Jun 03

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I hava a P3 500mHz with 512Mb Ram and two 40Gb HDD
Running WinXP Home. In the last few days I have had a problem with the OS Freezing, no mouse, Keyboard or CTRL/ALT/DEL response. At first this would happen almost straight away and on reset it will freeze solid on the XP load-up screen.

Once I leave the PC for a while (4-6hrs) it will reboot normally, and if I switch off as many running processes as possible it will run OK for 2-3 hours before becoming jerky and then freezing completely again. The PSU Fan appears to be running but I don't know about the CPU Fan.

Normally the processor runs at pretty much 100% as I run [email protected] in the background so I am assuming it is either the processor or it's fan/heatsink that is the problem.

Would this behavior be seen if that were the case?

number 1, stop running seti at home for a while (theres nothing out there anyway) then strip your machine right back, hardware and software, clean everthing again hardware and software, then buildit all ack up slowly bit by bit. buy a new power supply as your system is old and your present one is probably getting tired.

Dai A Bolical 11:11 09 Jul 03

Thanks horiz5, I didn't strip it completely but I have added a new PSU and CPU, both of which are faster/more powerful and yet quieter.

The problem was the 56K PCI software modem, after uninstallimg drivers and pulling the card everything works fine.

I am replacing it with a cheap hardware modem whilst I wait for Broadband to hit my area in august!

Again many Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…