System freezes

never 23:55 07 May 05

Having problems with my sons pc.
Every so often (no particular program running), the pc will freeze up for several minutes at a time. Cntrl/alt/del will not work, the mouse or any other keys.
I've replaced the Ram, formatted the drive & Win XP reinstalled.
Carried out a system check using Everest which showed that the -5volts on the motherboard was down to -3volts, so a new psu (500w) fiited but still the same problem, a low -5volts and pc freezing. Any ideas?

NormanD 10:40 08 May 05

never
First let make it clear that I'm not an expert, but when my PC displayed similar symptoms it was over-heating slightly. The PC stands on one one of those little trolleys so it can be easily rolled out from it's usual position under a shelf. The sides of this trolley are quite tall and they were blocking some of the cooling air intake holes in the side of the case. The PC worked fine until the weather warmed up then it started to display the symptoms you describe. I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely but it's just a thought.
Norman

never 11:17 08 May 05

tried running system with the covers off but made no difference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…