System freeze after first startup OK after reboot!?

Aristocatman 08:08 07 Mar 15

Having fixed the other problems I had with this Dell Precision T5500 I still have one unusual minor problem. It starts normally but after approximately 5 -10 minutes it freezes with the hard drive light full on. I have to shut it down from the start/stop button on restarting it behaves normally no freeze no obvious error messages I have had a BSOD with MACHINE_CHECK EXCEPTION but not often. I'm not sure what to look for in the logs. Although this is more of an inconvenience that a problem I'd like to resolve it if I can.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:47 07 Mar 15

start it up and open task manager leave it running til it freezes.

see what process takes up most cpu and memory when it freezes.

Aristocatman 11:17 07 Mar 15

Thanks for that I'll give that a go & see what happens, I forgot to mention it happens whether i'm logged in or not.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:39 07 Mar 15

would be tempted to run the disk checking tool then and possibly a memory test click here

Aristocatman 19:39 07 Mar 15

Disk check was clear processes only one running 'Super anti spyware CPU 04 45,268K memory all others CPU 00. Memory test is going to be a bit more in volved with 12 CPU's & 36Gb memory.

Aristocatman 11:25 08 Mar 15

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ I'd forgotten I ran a memory test a few weeks ago it took ages but was clear - I left it running overnight! So still no obvious cause for freezing I can't get my head round that it happens on first boot up but not on reboot what is the difference?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:39 08 Mar 15

Freezing usually down to:-

Memory failing / hard drive failing / virus and malware using all resources / psu voltages low / spikes from external devices cutting in or out e.g. fridge switching on off / overheating / driver conflicts.

As you said it occurred before you logged in I dismissed virus malware, overheating

and ok on subsequent start i dissmissed psu and household voltages

try updating your drivers as they will load with windows

chub_tor 13:21 08 Mar 15

This is a long shot but I have recently fixed a problem with a Win 7 machine that suffered from apparently random freezing and a slow start up by deleting the contents of the Event Log. I did this by drilling down through C:\Windows\System32\winevt\logs and deleting everything within that folder.

Worked for that machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…