System freeze

myanmarboy 12:30 23 Jun 06

my system kept freezing on boot. a msg came up saying "NT On-Access scanner service has encountered an error and needs to close". I found a "fix" for this which didn't work so as it a spare pc opted for clean reintall. Now I can't get XP to install. I get to the stage where it says Windows is being installed but then the system freezes again and I have to start over - with the same results. It is not a new system and I would rather replace it if this is a hardware problem. Can anyone help me please

brundle 14:41 23 Jun 06

if you know the manufacturer of your hard drive, do a check with the relevant diagnostic ; click here

myanmarboy 18:29 23 Jun 06

My hard-drive is a Maxtor, unfortunately at the moment I don't have an OS as the sytem freezes before I can get the reinstall completed.

brundle 19:44 23 Jun 06

the diagnostics usually run from a bootable floppy - generate one on the pc you're using to access this forum perhaps

myanmarboy 10:00 26 Jun 06

brundle
thanks for the help. It looks like the system needs some cash spent on it so am going to replace it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…