system File Missing Or Currupt

imzy 10:51 25 May 03

My cousin has just bought a new webcam over the net. He installed it using the CD provided but it did not seem to work properly. He then unistalled it and intalled it again. After that, when he shut down his computer and restarted it, Windows would not boot up.
The following message appears.

"The following file is missing or corrupt:
|Windows\system32\Config\system"

I tried to repair it using the Windows XP CD's repair function, but when I try it tells me to go go into safe mode and try to disable the hardware causing the conflict. When I go into safe mode, it tells me to repair using the XP CD.

If anyone can shed light on this problem it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dr. Charles 10:57 25 May 03

I wonder if the file missing is a "Shared file" which your cousin deleted when he removed the camera software. It sounds as if you have not removed all traces of that software as its still asking you to remove the hardware, thinking it is there with the software. You will have to chase those remaining files I fear.

Regards,

Charles

doorman 11:04 25 May 03

Try a 'system restore' to a date before the webcam was first installed.

imzy 11:37 25 May 03

"System restore" would do the trick but I can't get into windows at all, unless there is another way to access system restore.

If could enter safe mode I could disable the hardware and remove the software but It won't eeven let me enter safe mode.

Gongoozler 11:40 25 May 03

Have a look at this long thread on another forum. click here

beeuuem 14:12 25 May 03

This has worked for me when the same problem was encountered. From click here

System32 - Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Suggestion: To fix the "windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt" where XP wont boot, go to recovery console and type:(enter after each line)
C:\Windows (to get into the Windows folder)

cd system32\config

ren system system.old

ren system.alt systemalt.old

copy c:\windows\repair\system

You should receive a "One file copied" informational message.

copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
exit

After doing this set a new restore point in System restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…