//some 3rd party need geo

system file missing or corrupt.

Hi guys,

Iam running win 2000 pro and winxp pro.
Recently while accessing xp pro I was updating via the web.
A software attachment which seemed to have downloaded along with some nasties has either deleted or corrupted my
WINNT\system32\config\system file, as when I reboot and try to access win2000
I receive the file missing or corrupt:WINNT\system32\config\system

I have tried a repair from both O/s start up discs, and emergency repair disc, but no luck.
I have also tried numerous copying of Ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini in different files out of desperation, with no success. I can access win 2000 via a boot up disc in drive a:\ but I cannot access win xp using this disc( obviously just wants to access win 2000).
I have read somewhere that patching Mcafee groupshield exchange program will help, but there is no evidence of Mcafee in win2000???
I am well and truly stuck as how to repair or replace this system file.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

lb.

Stuartli 10:33 09 Apr 04

Have you run System File Checker?

Not sure about Windows2000 but try keying in SFC into Start>Run first.

If not and it's like XP (Pro in my case), go to Help and Support, key in System File Checker in the Index and a list of the commands will be made available to you.

beeuuem 10:35 09 Apr 04

Not sure if this will help click here

Fanx for the info guys.

seems the update Sp1 in xp pro created a corrupt
system file. I have now removed it and all is back singing and dancing. Seems these service packs aren't all there cracked up to be??
cheers.

l;b

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…