System File Checker in WinXP

I use to use System File Checker frequently in Win98SE but it won`t run in WinXP - should it?When I enter sfc in Run there is a microsecond flash of something and nothing else happens.

VoG II 19:18 09 Dec 04

Start, Run, type in

sfc /scannow

and click OK.

keith-236785 21:04 09 Dec 04

if VoG's advice doesn't work (and there's no reason why it shouldn't), open a command prompt and run sfc from within the command prompt window. That way the window won't close instantly and you will get to see any error message.

good luck

Jackcoms 21:19 09 Dec 04

I had exactly the same problem as Mack1 - a microsecond flash of something and then nothing.

So I used the Command Prompt as suggested by paperman27 and the scan started to run. It then asked for my Windows CD because it wanted to install DLL files.

So, I thought "my PC ain't broke so I don't need to fix it" and I cancelled the scan.

Which begs the question - what exactly does sfc /scannow do??

VoG II 21:23 09 Dec 04
  Jackcoms 21:39 09 Dec 04

VoG™

Useful link, thanks.

I'm glad I made the decision I did. The PC ain't broke, so I've no need to fix it or add additional unwanted DLL files.

When it does break, I now know what Sfc does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…