System File Checker (SFC)

Duchess8 17:23 26 Oct 05

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition with SP1. Recently I tried to run SFC and a message appeared that said: Please insert the Win XP Pro w/SP2 CD. I was able to use it before I installed the latest hotfixes on Monday.

What would make Windows think I was running Pro with SP2, I haven't installed SP2, nor have I installed the Pro version.

I need help desperately because I need to run SFC.

MAJ 17:30 26 Oct 05

sfc /scannow

rawprawn 17:37 26 Oct 05

I hadn't realised you could run SFC in XP Pro. I just tried it anf it works.

Splork 17:40 26 Oct 05

click here;en-us;897128

Splork 17:41 26 Oct 05

Sorry, try this working link
click here

MAJ 17:44 26 Oct 05

In XP you need the "switch" (/scannow), rawprawn. If you run "sfc /?" (or just "sfc"), without the quote marks, from a command window (Start > Run, type cmd, click OK) it will show you the other switches you can use.

VoG II 18:33 26 Oct 05

About SFC click here

rawprawn 18:47 26 Oct 05

Thanks for the info, I hadn't realised that was the case. We live and learn (Hopefully)

Stuartli 18:51 26 Oct 05

XP's Help and Support carries a full list of the SFC commands (just key in System File Checker into the index).

There have been several threads recently on using SFC in XP.

Stuartli 18:53 26 Oct 05

When you run SFC in XP it displays the Windows File Protection panel.

You also need to leave a space after sfc before the /scannow etc.

Stuartli 18:57 26 Oct 05

Here's the explanation of how to do it without the XP disk (in the right circumstances):

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…