System file checker

alpalok 13:02 28 Mar 07

I have Win Xp SP2. If I were to run SFC and SFC were to change certain system files, it will not cause any conflicts ? In short is SFC the right utility to run after you have installed SP2 or should one utilise some other utility ?
Thanks

Dr Alok Modi MD

VoG II 13:05 28 Mar 07
  alpalok 13:41 28 Mar 07

Sorry that did not answer my question. Please be short and simple for a layman like me.

rawprawn 13:53 28 Mar 07

The link VoG™ gave you (Scroll down) will show you how to run sfc from your SP2 computer files. Do you have file 1386 0n your C: if so
you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC. We do this in the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsCurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:
Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

------------------------------

rawprawn 13:56 28 Mar 07

Running sfc using that method is not only the best way, it is the only way I know other than slipstreaming your XP CD

Stuartli 14:04 28 Mar 07

System File Checker i.e. sfc /scannow replaces any missing or corrupted System files; if these are intact then no changes will be made.

You may have to put your XP disk in your CD drive whilst running sfc /scannow.

It comes under the banner of Windows File Protection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017