System File Checker

carper 13:35 19 Jan 05

I have posted a similar question and ticked the resolved box before trying the result properly
To run the system file checker I was given.
Start,Run,sfc/scannow, O.K. When I do this I getWindows can't find sfc/scannow. Can anyone help further please.
I am running XP Home with SP2.
Thanks in advance

Sealer 13:37 19 Jan 05

I think you need a space after the slash

Sethhaniel 13:38 19 Jan 05

sfc /scannow ;)

Stuartli 13:38 19 Jan 05

Key in System File Checker into XP's Help and Support for a list of the commands.

By the way there should be a space between sfc and the forward slash and the comman.

Stuartli 13:39 19 Jan 05

Mistyped that - spce after sfc and then /command

carper 10:12 20 Jan 05

Thanks all. Yes there should be a space before the slash and looking back on the original post there is a space (Apologies to Graham) Unfortunately this has brought up another problem. The first window asks for Windows XP disc to proceed, but I only have the OEM recovery disc which doesn't work. Any Ideas anyone???

PsiFox 10:16 20 Jan 05

If you type sfc /scanonce it will run sfc on next reboot. Unfortunately I seem to have a memory block at the mo and can't remember if it will ask for the disk or not.

PsiFox

Completealias 12:29 20 Jan 05

Is there a browse option? if so try pointing it to your i386 folder which if i remember correctly should be in c:\windows\i386.

carper 14:07 21 Jan 05

There is no browser option but I found c:\windows\i386 where you said. Frightened myself to death and didn't know what to do further. I think I'll leave well alone. Thanks anyway Carper

Graham ® 14:47 21 Jan 05

Look in the recovery CD for the i386 folder and copy it to a CD.

VoG II 14:53 21 Jan 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…