System File Check

wotbus@ 15:37 26 Nov 08

WinXP Home.
What's the difference, if any, between running sfc /scannow from the Run box and running Disc Check from the Drive\Properties\Tools tab?

anniesboy68 15:43 26 Nov 08

system file checker checks the file system,i.e. makes sure all the files of the operating system are correct. Check from the Drive\Properties\Tools tab....checks the disk for errors...or so I believe.AB68

wotbus@ 15:46 26 Nov 08

Hi. I thought so too but I happened to notice the latter saying it was "checking files"?
The 2nd option of Disc Check does the drive surface I know.
Just wondered, like you do ;-)

anniesboy68 19:50 26 Nov 08

I thought you ran sfc /scannow from the command prompt?

wotbus@ 20:12 26 Nov 08

Yes, you can, but I think it's the same as running it from the Run box.

skidzy 22:18 26 Nov 08

Chkdsk will verify and repair (optional) the integrity of the file system on any chosen volume.

The System File Checker will check system files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

DieSse 23:42 26 Nov 08

"....I happened to notice the latter saying it was "checking files"?"

It's just checking the files are valid and readable. Not checking their contents are correct, as SFC does.

So you could replace a system file with a different file - Disk Cech would consider it OK (still a valid file, and readable) - SFC would tell you it's not the correct contents for that file name.

woodchip 00:10 27 Nov 08

Disc check looks for chains of clusters that do not link to anything and bad blocks on the Hard Drive and tries to fix them, SFC /SCANNOW looks for missing and corrupt files

wotbus@ 09:02 27 Nov 08

Thanks everyone. Cleared it up nicely, except :-)
Is sfc scannow the same whether it is run from Command prompt or Run box?

oldbeefer2 10:56 27 Nov 08

Just been through a nightmare with laptop, and am fairly sure that scannow has to be run from the cmd screen - didn't seem to do anything when I ran it from 'run', just a flash on the screen then nothing. From cmd, saw the progress of the scan and then a table of the results.

wotbus@ 13:01 27 Nov 08

Thanks oldbeefer2. I have experienced the "flash" you describe. I run scannow from the run box by placing my original I386 folder (from my installation disc) and giving it a path in the registry. Just a bit more convenient than using the cmd prompt.
Thanks everyone for taking an interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…