System Failure Memory Test

akzah 16:26 20 Feb 03

Those were the words which came out of my speakers this morning.

I was hapily playing when I met the blue screen of death and restarted the machine. Then the screen showed no signal and the speakers said "System Failure Memory Test" repeatedly.

I checked the mobo manual which told me to check the ram was in place and not defective. It was in place so restarted but got the same thing again.

I then took the Ram module to a computer shop and they tried it on a P.C and it was found not to work.

I had bought the DDR PC21000 256 Mb from Scan.

Can anyone tell me how a Memory can fail like that after less than a years usage.

BrianW 17:09 20 Feb 03

Any electronic device can and will fail at some point. Failure can be accelerated by high temperature, higher than specified voltage or attempting to run at higher than the specified frequency - but often it just fails because its time to fail! Is it still in warranty?

akzah 17:12 20 Feb 03

I phoned up Scan, as I bought in July and they gave me a RMA Number, so I have just sent it to them.

I did change a few things in the BIOS relating to the memory other than that its weird that its failed after 8months.

duplo 17:20 20 Feb 03

If you ajusted the speed at which it was running it could well damage the memory.

akzah 17:25 20 Feb 03

I actually slowed it down, as using it normally it creates lots of crashes and page file errors.

Good thing is memory is quite cheap at the moment, was thinking of spending £16 and getting 128 mb DDR so that mynew p.c will work till I get another one from Scan.

Cams 17:30 20 Feb 03

Unless you need RDRAM - sheesh, that stuff's expensive!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos