System failure after lightning strke

Mollo 10:46 12 Jul 05

Trying to start up after power surge in the area.
The base unit power comes on (the fan is running).
The green light comes on (no beeps) and the orange light which indicates that the hard disk drive is being read comes on.
There is no display on the monitor.
The monitor has been connected direct to a plug socket and works o.k.
When I try to take the power for the monitor from the socket on the base unit the green light on the monitor changes to orange.
Is there a procedure I can follow to check the system and find the cause of the problem.

howard60 10:50 12 Jul 05

as a first step try taking the memory strip[s] out and pujtting it[them] back in different slot[s]. Sometimes a static or similar charge is stopping them working. The removal and replacement has been known to clear them.

Mollo 15:16 12 Jul 05

Thanks howard60

Tried your suggestion still no joy.

BigRik 18:50 12 Jul 05

I know it sounds incredibly obvious, but have you tried moving the mouse or pressing a key? Sometimes mines' done that before, as if it stays in a kind of standby mode.

Failing that, have you got access to either another cable or monitor? Perhaps you could connect these to your HDD to rule out any motherboard problems.

mattyc_92 18:58 12 Jul 05

You are not allone... The otehr week, my cousin came over with her system saying that the VDU wont display anything.... After many hours of "tinkering" with the system, we have decided it HAS to be the motherboard..

The most obvious thing to try is to take the memory out, disconnect ALL hard-drives, optical drives (rewritters and ROMS) and the floppy disk cables and see it will "boot" up. You SHOULD notice loads of error messages because of all the drives missing (and memory). Then it is the case of "trial and error" to see which drive (or memory) is the problem.

You could also try aother graphics card.

DieSse 19:23 12 Jul 05

The modem could have been damaged - try removing it.

Failing that it's almost certainly the motherboard, and maybe other items too.

The only way to really checkout drives, RAM and plug-in boards is with another system that you can try them in.

Mollo 09:46 09 Aug 05

I have considered removing the HDDs from the blown out unit and putting them into mine. Is this a viable proposition - if so what's the procedure? and how do I access the data on it.

mattyc_92 09:59 09 Aug 05

Simply remove the drives from your old system and replace them in your new system.

Then just set the old drive as slave and boot up your system.

If you are using WinXP, you will need to take "ownership" of the files to copy them.

Graham ® 10:04 09 Aug 05

If the monitor is not powering from the base unit, that suggests a problem with the PSU. Although that supply is at mains voltage, it would indicate a blown fuse at least.

Putting a hard drive in another system should be straightforward. Simply check the slave/master or cable select jumpers to suit the existing setup.

Once the drive is recognised, and is itself undamaged, you will be able to recover the data.

Mollo 11:19 09 Aug 05

mattyc_92
How do I take "ownership" of the files. The computer originally belonged to my daughter and was passed on to my daughter-in-law and someone installed WinXP on it. There are two HDDs #1 10gb(original) had Win98SE installed, #2 smaller not sure of capacity. When WinXP was installed would it overwrite Win98SE?
Graham
Monitor is O.K. Once I can get the data off the HDDs I'll think about other items - Thanks

mattyc_92 11:21 09 Aug 05

What was the system format? FAT32 or NTFS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…