System Failure!

Peoby 10:28 22 Oct 03

I am trying to format my hard drive after a system failure, but after about 30% completion the computer displays 'general failure' and freezes. Should I need to run an anti-virus program, where can I obtain one to run from MSDOS. Another problem is that I am having trouble starting the computer even with a Windows ME startup disc. Can anybody advise.

most anti virus software will give you the option to make a bootable emergency floppy , see whats on the machine you are on now. BUt if you are 30% through formatting its too late to worry about that, anyway your symptoms are more indicative of a hardware failiure, check everythng is well seated and connected inside the box. listen out for the beeps during POST. the fault is most probably in your memory modules or your hard-drive but there are other likely candidates also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…