System failed - CPU test?

Petewaka 15:08 12 Dec 09

Hi, hope someone can help with this problem.

I have a PC (XP home edition) which has not been used for about 6 months now:-

MESH matrix 3500+ AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor
Mainboard 200Mhz SB IEEE 1394 SATA
1024MB DDR 400 RAM memory
300GB serial ATA (150mb/s) ultra fast HD
256MB nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500-tv-out-DVI

When I switched the PC on today it powers up but the monitor just says "no imput signal" and then a voice message keeps repeating "system failed CPU test".
Can anybody tell me what has happened and what do I need to do to fix the problem?.
Thanks for any suggestions.

chub_tor 16:04 12 Dec 09

The good new is that it is not necessarily a CPU failure click here as others with this problem have found that it is a generic answer given by some Asus boards.

The bad news is that the fault may be hard to pin down and could be related to the graphics card or the power supply - see that link above again.

How was the computer stored when it was not beeing used for 6 months, somewhere warm and dry or stuck in an attic? Mine usually go in the attic sad to say and require some acclimitisation before I can use them again.

First thing I would try would be to open up the case and remove the graphics card, look at the contacts, make sure they are clean and then reseat in back in the socket and try again. You might want to try this for the other cardss. While you have the covers off check that the CPU heatsink fins are not clogged with dust etc.

Let us know how you get on.

woodchip 16:13 12 Dec 09

Try using a Air Drier to warm up the inside for a while before trying to power up. If its been in a cold damp place this will make things worse

Petewaka 16:27 12 Dec 09

Hi Chub_tor,

Thanks for the info, I will open up the case first thing in the morning, going out shortly.
The PC was left set-up in the dining room where it's always been, but untouched for 6 months, apart from an incident that occurred a few weeks ago my daughter has just informed me about.
It suddenly powered up on it's own, my daughter says that it would not shut down as normal and in the end she just unplugged it, could this be related to the problem we now have?.
Let you know tomorrow what happens after I have opened the case and checked/cleaned everything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 12 Dec 09

While you have it opened try fitting a new CMOS battery.

CMOS Battery
click here

woodchip 19:47 12 Dec 09

The Hard Drive Boot sector is corrupt due to abnormal shut down i.e pulling the plug

cream. 21:31 12 Dec 09

" my daughter says that it would not shut down as normal and in the end she just unplugged it "

If you have the motherboard manual, reset the cmos jumper or take out the cmos battery for 10 minutes with the mains power plug out.

This will reset the bios to defaults.

woodchip 23:35 12 Dec 09

Its not the BIOS thats the Problem. Its the drive thats the problem with it not being shut down right

Petewaka 12:38 13 Dec 09

Hi everyone, Just cleaned all the dust from inside the case and checked everything was connected including the graphics card, booted up PC but still getting the voice message "System failed - CPU test".
So I am going to buy a new PSU tomorrow, mine is a 350w one, do you advise buying a higher watt one, say 450w - 500w?.
Woodchip - you said the hard drive boot sector is corrupt due to abnormal shutdown, when I have installed the new PSU what do I need to do to clear this problem.
Thanks.

woodchip 13:07 13 Dec 09

Before you go spending start the Computer with the Operating System Disc, not a Restore disc and do a Repair if XP or Vista buy choosing setup let windows look for OS on the Drive, it should find one, click on it and choose Repair by Pressing R or get to the Windows Consul and type at the C:\ prompt

Fixboot

Petewaka 14:40 13 Dec 09

Hi Woodchip, the only disc that I can recall that came with the PC says on it MESH Computers Recovery CD-ROM, the software included on this external recovery media may only be used for backup and recovery of your Mesh computer (XP Home SP2), is this what you mean?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…