system diagnostic software, anything!!!

second best 03:15 21 Sep 03

hi, i need to check my system's stability. i know it's not stable, but i need to know why. is there any software you could reccomend for me to try. i have already tried system mechanic, ,but no joy as of yet. i have cleane dthe regisrty. and deleted all junk files. this was all after the problems started, so i don't think it will have anything to do with this.

-pops- 06:55 21 Sep 03

If you can define the instability, someone may be able to offer some advice on how to overcome it. This may be better and easier than suggesting a piece of esoteric software which would quite possibly confuse rather than cure.

Wak 08:02 21 Sep 03

You could also go to Start/ Run/ type SFC in the box, click OK.
This will run the System File Checker so have your Windows CD handy in case a file has been corrupted and needs to be replaced.
You didn't say what system you are running?

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:13 21 Sep 03

Norton systemworks is very good but I woulkd recommend a reformat of the HD. It is easy to do and all the advice will be here.

G

second best 13:47 21 Sep 03

ok, gents, thnxs for that, but this links directly to this thread. click here i'm scared to press the start button, coz it froze continuously on me abouit 10 times last night in the spce of 20 mins , boohoo

woodchip 14:08 21 Sep 03

If you have a different Graphics card try it. Or try updating the Graphics Driver

second best 14:17 21 Sep 03

woodchip i have the latest nvidia (4.4 i think) d/loaded from windows update, but i have just disabled the nvcpl and nvmctray in startup. searched on google and seems to point in this direction. wot do you think? consequently, , it has not happened as of yet, , and i have been onone for 45 mins so far, but i bet it willd o it now i've said it.

woodchip 21:39 21 Sep 03

When you get Lockups indiscriminately it normally points to Graphics, so you may have cured the problem

second best 16:51 22 Sep 03

ok, thnks, but unfortunatly id done it again, and i've just completed a new install, 3rd in 2 days. had a few probs to start with but all seems ok for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…