System crashes

dwh 21:55 01 Mar 04

System: Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 mobo, MSI 256Mb FX5600 VGA, Creative audigy 2 sound, Seagate Barracuda 80Gb 7200 rpm S-ATA 150 hard drive, AMD XP3000+ processor, 3x 512Mb 400Mz PC 3200 ddr memory, OS Windows ME.
I am a novice in the computer world but all the write ups said that this should be a decent system, anything but.
I get all types of crashes from CMOS reverting to default settings on start up to blue screen windows error messages to system freezes even on shut down.
Can't play Halo or Unreal 11 at all and even Unreal Tournament will only play at lowest resolution.
Have all latest windows updates, latest drivers, etc., have AVG anti-virus and Zone Alarms firewall. No sign of any virus on checking.
Help please.
Have a copy of Windows XP Pro, can I install over top of ME without causing any more problems?, understand there may be a problem with Sata raid.
Have done clean installs of ME,twice, but no difference

woodchip 21:59 01 Mar 04

How many programs in MSCONFIG go to start/run and type MSCONFIG check whats running at startup you can remove program tick's to try the system

dwh 11:29 02 Mar 04

checked msconfig, contains the following:
boot, keyboard, boot description, 386Enh, nonwindowsapp, power drv, drivers, iccvid drv, MCI, v cache, MSNP32, password lists, drivers 32, TT FontDimenCache.
All boxes are checked

woodchip 21:33 02 Mar 04

remove nonwindowsapp tick, and see how it goes

dwh 21:17 05 Mar 04

woodchip, have removed nonwindows app and seems alittle better. have downloaded riva tuner and altered settings on vga but still can't play halo or unreal 2, should i buy a ps2 and forget pc?

woodchip 13:53 06 Mar 04

That's what I would do, Games mess Windows up

erkmatrix 14:17 06 Mar 04

yeah I've had loads of troubles with games on PC's they seem to always have a way of crashing with the computers I've had. I guess they are so complexed now that they mess with windows mind

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…