System crashed now Wireless is unavailable

setkou 13:39 01 Aug 07

I was attempting to download a program a friend had given me, and just as it was copying it over, my system crashed. A blue dos screen came on for a split second and my computer shut down. I was able to restart my computer with no problems and did not attempt to copy the program again, making sure there was no trace of it left on my system. HOWEVER - the crash resulted in my losing wireless capabilities, plus my Virus software had to be repaired. I tried the repair option for my wireless network, but it did not work. I get this message on the wireless network tab: "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection." When I try the Windows Zero Configuration I get this message: "ERROR - Microsoft Windows XP - This computer ( Depending on the wireless software running on this computer, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard might not work. For details, see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on Microsoft.com.) I do have internet through a cable, just no wireless.

What do I do?

ambra4 16:52 01 Aug 07

Re-installing the wireless card driver

setkou 17:11 01 Aug 07

I apologize if this is a very naive question, but how do I do that?
Would that be under wireless network connections, and then uninstall OR do I click on the configure button next to my network adapter listed (Broadcam 802.11 Network Adapter) and then click on the Drivers tab and there is an uninstall option there??
do i need to have original software for the driver to re-install it?

postie24 17:42 01 Aug 07

Is there any yellow exclamation marks against the network adaptor in device manager?.
Uninstall it and windows will re-install it on boot up.

setkou 18:56 01 Aug 07

I uninstalled and rebooted my computer. The network adapter was reinstalled but I still have the exact same problem.
Postie 24, to answer your question - there isn't a yellow exclamation mark against the network adaptor in device manager. In fact, I tried updating the driver and rolling back the driver. There doesn't appear to be a problem with the adapter. I am not sure what else I can do?

postie24 19:07 01 Aug 07

Try this
1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click Network Connections.
3. In Network Connections, click to select your wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection.
4. On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.

To start the Wireless Zero Configuration service, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s, and then click OK.
2. Double-click Wireless Zero Configuration.
3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
4. In the Service status area, click Start, and then click OK.

setkou 19:33 01 Aug 07

I had tried this before but keep getting errors. This time when I try to start the WZC service I get "ERROR 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

Also, when I click Change Settings of my wireless connection (step 3 of your first paragraph) I do not see the "Wireless Networks" tab in order to do step 4.

Ashrich 20:25 01 Aug 07

It is possible that your TCP/IP stack or Winsock has been damaged in the crash , try this to see if it will help

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log .

Press enter after each command
Ashley

setkou 23:28 01 Aug 07

Hi Ashley, I tried your suggestion but still no good.

Any other suggestions?

setkou 15:48 06 Aug 07

perhaps you guys are as clueless as me as to how to fix this problem...but here is some more information.
I tried an external wireless adapter card, and I have the same exact problem! On the other hand, my husband's laptop is able to pick up all the available wireless networks in the vicinity - including ours. So what could this mean? And more importantly - how can I fix it?

postie24 18:26 06 Aug 07

click here_'Error_1068_The_Dependency_Service_or_Group_Failed_To_Start'_appear_when_starting_the_remote_access_auto_connection_manager_in_Windows_XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…