system crash win. 98

pollpott 18:21 15 Apr 05

having failed to be able to reinstall win98 I bought a boot disk, E-z instal, which allows me to progress to a point where it asks for product code. It progresses for a few seconds but then stops with the message 'no disk in cd drive' Any suggestions?

zarobian 18:40 15 Apr 05

Can you tell us if it is a clean installation or you are trying to install on the top of an existing OS.
What type of processor you have. Is the clock speed is at least 133MHZ or above.
Have you got a Win98 start up floppy disk.
I may be able to help you out.

woodchip 18:49 15 Apr 05

Go into BIOS when the Computer is starting and set the first Boot Device to CD-ROM next boot device IDE restart with Win98 CD in computer choose to boot from CD it will start setup

pollpott 18:50 15 Apr 05

It's a toshiba laptop about 4 yrs old and the clock speed is more than 133 but not much more.It's not a clean installation and I don't have the original boot disk.I do have a generic boot disk for win.98 ME and XP.

pollpott 18:51 15 Apr 05

Thanks for the advice Woodchip I'll give it a try.

Graham ® 19:35 15 Apr 05

Laptops will often only boot/install/recover with its own recovery CD. It may not behave as a desktop would.

zarobian 22:03 15 Apr 05

You mentioned that it is not a clean installation.

Try what woodchip has suggested. If it did not worked out. Then undo the BIOS change and Boot the computer with your generic Floppy Boot disk with CDROM support.

Change to your CDROM Letter assuming it is 'D'.

D:>\setup.exe /NTLDR Press enter

(This will bypass check for existing operating system,which normally prevents OEM versions of Windows from being installed on a PC, with an existing Windows installation.

NOTE: Leave a space between .exe and /NTLDR

woodchip 22:06 15 Apr 05

If the CD was D:\ it will be E:\ after you boot with floppy...... Only until you get Windows back up and running

zarobian 22:09 15 Apr 05

For a lower CPU clock speed you can bypass CPU type detection by using /NM switch.

D:>\setup.exe /NM press enter

This enables windows to install on a PC, that doesn't meet the minimum system requirements.

zarobian 22:15 15 Apr 05

Sorry to mention that you must insert the Installation CD in the drive when executing the setup.I think it is quite obvious.

zarobian 22:15 15 Apr 05

Sorry not to mention.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac