System crash when dialling Internet

Jonno131 10:11 15 Mar 06

I've been asked to look at a friend's computer which suffered a severe crash during an electrical storm here on Crete. It will boot into Windows but when he tries to connect to the Internet by Dial up modem the system crashes to the blue screen with the message "System is closing down to prevent damage etc." I've reloaded the Internet software with no effect. I think sfc /scannow might reload the corrupt system files but he hasn't got a system disk - just the recovery set. Does anyone know whether we can use someone else's system disk (XP) to do an sfc or will copyright protection kick in? I have of course delivered the lecture about surge protection etc.

Thanks

Jonno

Diodorus Siculus 10:41 15 Mar 06

click here

This tells how to use SFC without an OS CD. It may help.

gudgulf 10:46 15 Mar 06

Chances are the modem was fried by the storm......they can be easily damaged by current surges through the telephone line.

Windows often shows the modem as ok even though it is damaged.

Try removing and reinstalling the modem and its drivers.

Are there any other programs crashing or different blue screen errors which lead you to think that it is the system as a whole that has become corrupt?

Yes you can use another full XP disc to run SFC /scannow.....you can even use the disc to do a repair installation or full reinstall of Windows.But you MUST use your friend's valid key from the sticker on the pc case.

Jonno131 06:48 17 Mar 06

Thanks both. Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes the system accepted a "foreign" XP Pro disk for sfc but that didn't cure the problem. Did a system recovery, still crashing and came to the conclusion suggested above that the modem has been damaged. I've suggested he borrow a USB modem (it's a laptop) and try that. Thanks for the advice.

Jonno

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos