System configuration utility

cheechman 19:19 11 May 08

My computer has been driving me mad and running really slowly. After checking the forums I've gone into the msconfig facility and checked out what I need to run at set-up and unticked the majority of the entries. However I'm experiencing two problems:

1) It keeps telling me I need to log on as adminisrator to make certain changes. There is only one account set up on the machine and it listed within Control Panel as administrator

2) On start up a messge appears something along the lines of "you have changed your System Configuration Settings. Currently set to Selective Start Up. Click here to run in Normal Start Up mode and prevent this box from being displayed again" - if I tick this box all the items in the Start Up will run.

When I click OK it tells me again to log on as Administrator and then wants to re-start.

I'm running XP home.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 11 May 08

try setting it up in safe mode.

cheechman 19:31 11 May 08

Thanks Fruit Bat

I'll give it a whirl!

cheechman 19:44 11 May 08

No - same problem after making changes in safe mode.

Logged into Safe MOde it gave me the option of logging in as myself or Administrator - chose Administrator but same error message.

Restarted and still exactly same

Any1 20:21 11 May 08

reinstall the windows with a fresh copy(this wont delete your old files if not just format the drive) This will solve your headache .

cheechman 20:25 11 May 08

No idea where my copy of Windows is!!

Thanks for your help anyway.

VoG II 20:25 11 May 08

"2) On start up a messge appears something along the lines of "you have changed your System Configuration Settings. Currently set to Selective Start Up. Click here to run in Normal Start Up mode and prevent this box from being displayed again" - if I tick this box all the items in the Start Up will run."

Don't tick that, tick 'Do not show this message again'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…