System Cleanup hanging

kimtrnc 10:53 11 Oct 05

System cleanup - my best friend - has now decided it will freeze @ approx four blue sections along. Whether I leave it for several hours, or start again, result the same. My first thought, a corrupted file, so I tried SFC , which produces a lot of flickering hourglass, and nothing else.
Can anyone suggest a cause, and a cure,for either or both, please?

BH34 11:19 11 Oct 05

Try this click here;en-us;886219

kimtrnc 11:29 11 Oct 05

Thanks BH34 - tried that before I posted here. that just results in diskclean up not working at all! something else wrong here, I think. I'm sure I've used a utility which checks whether files have been changed and offers to repair/replace, but I can't quite remember?

jimv7 11:31 11 Oct 05

If winxp hangs on disk cleanup,

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.
5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume Caches
6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.
7. Quit Registry Editor.

BH34 11:32 11 Oct 05

That don't work click here

BH34 11:50 11 Oct 05

That should read that link didn't work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…