System can't find RAM

Billyke 14:26 24 May 10

Hello.

I have just been given a desktop with 256Mb DDR RAM. I have added a second module but the System doesn't register it. Each module works fine on it's own in slot 1, just that the sytem can't see the second module.
Also ran SiSoft Sandra and that can't see it either.

Thankyou

johndrew 14:37 24 May 10

Without a bit more information on the PC (laptop/desktop make & BIOS) it is difficult to give advice, but I assume you have been into the BIOS to ensure it is set correctly and the motherboard/OS will take the RAM?

onthelimit 15:58 24 May 10

If not sure about johndrew's idea, you could run the Crucial scanner which will tell you what RAM the mobo can support.

Billyke 18:00 26 May 10

Hello.

Thanks for your replies. It is a Fujitsu/Siemens Scaleo.
RAM is DDR.
BIOS is award Software Intl,

Just noticed that when booting, before the Wndows XP screen, four lines of text show briefly. One says 512Mb.

Had a look in BIOS but not really sure what to look for with memory. I recognised HDDs etc.

I have run the Crucial scan. Interestingly that also shows only one memory module yet the report that system can take 3Gb, 1Gb in each slot.

onthelimit 18:05 26 May 10

Wonder if there's a problem with the second slot - broken contact or similar?

Billyke 18:23 26 May 10

Hello.

Thanks for your replies.

Just noticed that when booting, before the Wndows XP screen, four lines of text show briefly. One says 512Mb.

It is a Fujitsu/Siemens Scaleo desktop.
RAM is DDR.
BIOS is Award Software Intl, 6.00 PG, 2002.

Had a look in BIOS but not really sure what to look for with memory. I recognised HDDs etc.

I have run the Crucial scan. Interestingly that also shows only one memory module yet the report says that system can take 3Gb, 1Gb in each slot. If it read 3 slots why can't it see both modules?

johndrew 18:56 26 May 10

From what you are saying it would appear that your BIOS has picked up the RAM but for some reason it can`t be seen by the Crucial scan. If you right click "My Computer" and then click "Properties" how much RAM is shown under "Computer"?

Billyke 09:23 27 May 10

Hello johndrew.

It only shows 256Mb RAM

johndrew 10:02 27 May 10

In that case the OS is not seeing the new RAM for some reason. This could still be caused by BIOS not registering its presence.

I presume you are using the slots in the correct order for installed RAM? If not the RAM may well not registering.

If so, I should first power down the PC remove the original RAM, insert the new in its place and power up to check the RAM module is good. A failure to boot may well indicate it is the module at fault.

Power down again.

Fit the "old" module in the second slot and power up again and check "My Computer" for the RAM value.

If the value is still 256 it could be a fault with the slot as onthelimit has indicated above.

Whether BIOS would recognise the module if there were a fault with the slot I`m not certain.

Billyke 23:09 28 May 10

Hi, thanks for that.

Yes, I did think about the order of installation. I used slots 1 & 2 initially. However, in line with both your comments I have tried both memory modules, in turn, in all three slots [that took a while!].
Result: Slot 1 fine and slot 3 fine. Nothing from slot two. Wouldn't even try to boot, just beeped.

The order doesn't seem to matter - it started with 1 module in slot three ok. I now have a module in slot 1 and in slot 3 and the system shows 512Mb.

Obviously something not right with slot 2 but on close inspection I can't see any physical damage.
Just thought, I should have run Crucial again. Will do that again tomorrow, but I still find it odd that the o/s can't register anything in slot 2, or that Crucial can't see it yet it can see the slot. Incidently, Crucial said it couldn't ascertain make of mobo but read enough info from it.

Where do you find memory info in BIOS? The only ref to RAM I found was under Advanced Chipset Features but there was nothing about how much RAM.

johndrew 11:19 29 May 10

Glad it is now functional.

It looks as if slot 2 may have a fault of some type unless the RAM insertion order for that mobo is 1, 3, 2.

Ram set-up info in BIOS should be under Advanced (all Auto?) with the amount under Main. If your BIOS is similar layout to mine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…