System can't find CD Rom drive

retroman 15:44 27 Jul 03

I've just bought a second hand PC and as you would expect the hard drive has been wiped clean. I want to load Windows 95 from CD but the machine seems to think that both the a:\ and b:\ drives are both the floppy drive (I assume that is the case as the light comes on when I type the setup command preceded by either a:\ or b:\)

Does anyone know how I can get it to read the CD Rom and load Windows?

Youll need to get hold of a CD-ROM driver and install it from DOS on to a selected drive. then you should be able to install windows 95

Djohn 16:13 27 Jul 03

If my memory is correct, 95 will not load from CD. You will need a boot disk made up on a floppy. J.

retroman 17:57 27 Jul 03

I managed to load a CD-ROM driver from a disc I got with a previous PC (after tracking down something called MSCDEX.EXE) but I still can't get it to admit that there is a CD ROM drive. Does the driver have to be specific to the CD ROM drive or is it universal?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…