system build for games

pc mad 19:28 22 Sep 04

hi, im about to build a new pc for a friend , he wants to use it for games, can any one recommend a mother board and speed/make of cpu, also a graphics card, i was intending to use xp pro on the pc but i have heard that some games wont work proply or not at all on xp, so should i forsake the qualities of xp and say install windows 98 instead, gratefull for any help, thanks

TBH1 22:14 22 Sep 04

ps2 mate - -does exactly what it sez on the tin - -

kspatto 00:03 23 Sep 04

intel chip for prossesor see mag for graphics card advice they change quite rapidly xp pro is fine for newer games which is what he probably wants to play (might be better to buy a ready made pc as the components for a decent games machine dont come cheap at least see what you can get for the same cash)if you do build it yourself make sure to get a decent set of fans as gaming can be quite processor intensive (runs hot after a late night session)

The Ghost of Inept Pig 13:35 23 Sep 04

Older games don't work on XP - but all recent versions do, as for installing an older OS - it's an idea, but take note that when Doom 3 was originally released it would ONLY run on XP (and maybe 2000/ME, my memory fails me) - not 95/98.

As for the other specs, it depends how much you're willing to spend - any budget ideas?

The Ghost of Inept Pig 13:40 23 Sep 04

Older games don't work on XP - but all recent versions do, as for installing an older OS - it's an idea, but take note that when Doom 3 was originally released it would ONLY run on XP (and maybe 2000/ME, my memory fails me) - not 95/98.

As for the other specs, it depends how much you're willing to spend - any budget ideas?

As for cooling - I'd recommend a Lian Li aluminium case, top notch and pretty too

JonnyTub 15:23 23 Sep 04

why not dual boot 98 and xp? as for processor, amd tend to outpace intels for gaming purposes with slighlty higher frame rates to an equivelant intel. cheaper too.

Sion 15:37 23 Sep 04

Depends what the budget is. If you can afford to go all out, get an athlon64, and a nvidia 6800 series card.

Personally, i would put on windows XP. The older games will not work on it (by old i mean 8-9 years old) but many games being released now are starting to be windows XP only, as windows98 gets phased out.

Here's some ideas to get you started.

motherboard click here

AMD64 3000+ click here

Nvidia 6800 click here

512MB DDR
click here

This would be a solid basis for any gaming system, and would last you a good 2 years i would bet (before any serious upgrade anyway) If you let me know what budget you are working towards i'll gladly get a price list together for you (may as well do something while i'm stuck in with sickness!"

JonnyTub 15:40 23 Sep 04

that's a decent offer from sion, may help you decide what to go for and the cost invloved pc mad.

Noelg23 15:47 23 Sep 04

PC Mad...email me and I can even price you up a system but Sion is on the right track...AMD 64 CPUs would be the best but in terms of Mobos...MSI would be the one I would recommend and you can check out the board here click here and I think its the KT8 model and I think you may be needing 1GB DDR RAM rather than half..I know if I was building system just based on games it would have at least 160GB HDD, 1GB DDR RAM, Athlon 64 CPU, an Nvidia 256MB AGP, Creative Sound Card (preferably the Audigy Zs) with 5.1 surround sound system and a 16 DVD-ROM drive and a separate DVD-writer (altho this wont be needed if its just a games based PC. ohh and I would get a nice 17" TFT LCD monitor...what do you say to that guys?

Sion 16:17 23 Sep 04

yeah, 17ins tft. with at least a response time of 16ms though. the new LG 1715s is pretty cheap, and great for gaming. Or you ca just stick with CRT, lets face it, TFT's have not got to the point yet where they are better at games than CRT. A CRT monitor measures response time in nano seconds, TFT's are in miliseconds.

Noleg, I would get 1GB DDR Ram if i could afford it, but i'd rather stick with 512 for the time being, and put the £50 towards something else in the system (ie. splash out on a nice case and decent power supply). You can always upgrade again later, and probably when memory prices come further down in price (they are expecting a drop in prices before christmas i believe)

Noelg23 16:28 23 Sep 04

well I hope so too cos I am looking to upgrade my system...(been wanting to upgrade since June but as usual no money present) I want a new AGP card (MSI Nvidia FX5700 I believe it is with 256MB or something similar) also another stick of 512MB RAM...already have a 40GB HDD with my 80GB HDD so altogether 120GB...also a double layer dual format DVD writer...by the way Sion if you looking for a reliable and robust case with side window go to click here

I got the exact same case (back in Jan when I bought it it was priced at £60+ now look at the price!!) great case and enough space to fit 5 yes 5 LED fans...my case certainly looks better with all that glowing colour..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…