System boots, switches off, re-boots

OldRed 01:45 09 Apr 04

Hi all, I just wondered if anyone has encountered a problem like I'm experiencing at the moment with my HP Brio. The system boots upto desktop then switches off then re-boots back upto desktop, repeating this over and over. I have changed the power supply unit and hard drive to no avail. On the few ocasions its stayed on within a few minutes use it turns off, I have found that during start-up if I press F2 to enter settings and leave it ten minutes in settings then re-boot it it tends to stay on a little longer but it will go off within five to twenty minutes. The strange thing is that if I follow the last point and connect to the internet before it goes off I can browse for hours without any problems even download the odd screensaver but when I log off and start working from my desktop it will go off. Nothing in particular I do causes
it to happen and there are no error messages, I am running Windows 98SE. I wondered if it could be the memory thats failing and would like to know if its possible to test it without replacing it. Anybody got any ideas or had similar problems.

hugh-265156 02:03 09 Apr 04

more than likely its somethig starting up with windows that is maybe causing the problem.

click start/run type msconfig click ok.

click the start up tab and make a note of items listed here.then untick everything listed here and restart the computer.

does it start up ok?

if so go back to msconfig and add one tick back at a time and restart each time untill you get a restart/hang etc.

you may find the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…