System boot-up problems

oo7juk 18:34 28 Jul 03

Hi,

Posting on behalf of my sister.
Just recently my sister installed a new cd writer and everything was going fine, then a few days later she went to turn on her PC and it would'nt boot up.

The monitor light stayed on standby and so did her base unit as if it where in hibernation.

She disconnected the new writer and turned her PC on again, now the power light comes on but nothing else happens except for slight noise at the beginning.

Any ideas, thanks to all who reply.

woodchip 18:50 28 Jul 03

I would think the PSU is not big enough to cope, take the cover of and look at the top of the box at the back of the computer where the fan is check the Wattage it will prob be about 250 or less get a min of 300 Watt PSU they are easy to fit but you have to make shure it's the right on I do not know your system so it could be AT or ATX. How old is the computer

AdeJ 19:00 28 Jul 03

If you're confident (and safe enough - and I in no way mean that in a patronising manner) to open your system up and run a voltage meter across your PSU output, that will give you the definitive answer.

oo7juk 21:28 28 Jul 03

woodchip & adej

Thanks for getting back to me, my sister disconnected the new writer, would that not rule out the problem with PSU? That is if the PSU is not feeding the new writer it should work???

Thanks again.

Bodi 22:32 28 Jul 03

for this problem - that's the frustrating thing about computers, it is usually a process of elimination to find the cause.

1) Could be the memory has died.

2) Could be the PSU needs upgrading, as already suggested.

3) Could be the graphics card has become unseated or has died.

Unfortunately it means checking each component to see where the problem lies, and the PSU is a good start.

Do the fans (or fan on CPU) start when you switch on the power?

Are all the cable connected correctly? or has one come loose when your sister was busy inside the computer?

This is a start.

woodchip 22:36 28 Jul 03

The PSU may have gone puff, just removing the CDRW may not get it back

woodchip 22:38 28 Jul 03

As a simple illustration if you overload a fuse it will blow heave though you may remove things from the socket it's not going to mend the fuse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…